I have wanted to try this phlearn tutorial about black eyes so I took one left over picture from ‘the game’ shoot. Eyes were easy and looked good. I was aiming for scifi theme so I made the skin pretty white and added some cracks to the outer ‘shell’. I made the lines with Inkscape and imported them to photoshop. Vector drawing program was more suited for that kind of job. I used liquify in photoshop to modify the lines more to the body shape.
I guess it was my turn to try a business portrait. Local camera club theme for this month is ‘Dark Side’ so I guess this business theme suites it well. If you ask me the dark side here is from the neck down. During the shoot we went from four light setup to one light setup and finally to this two light setup that we though worked best for this picture. As a Slipknot fan I thought that mask was not good enough as it is and I added 10cm nail mohawk to it.
I got smoke images from the last visit to camera club studio so I though I’ll use them for something. I was in a local super market and bought some chilis. It was actually pretty mild and the tip were there are no seeds tasted like paprika. Well it worked as a prop.
Got this idea of a series of images when I was walking to a studio for an another shoot. I wanted to play with graphical elements and strong contrast with this series. Lighting setup for the images was simple 60x90cm softbox on top and reflector at the bottom. Images with white background had another bare flash behind the model to light the background.
Half way editing this haunted house image I started thinking why I chose my own head as the haunted house. I think Freud might find something here… This image started as a pencil drawing and then I just used my old images to get it to together. Chimney I didn’t have in my photos so I draw it to the image.
When I made the ‘Movember’ picture with vhs tape, I thought that it could work as a hair too. This lead to another humour picture, this time with a wannabe rock star theme. For the props I took my top hat and but some buttons on it, sunglasses and old guitar hero guitar from my son. I wanted the image to be extra cheesy so I added a flame going around the guitar with Photoshop Render -> Flame tool. Reflection in the sun glasses is made from the Kuopio Rock picture.
I took these photos in October but somehow I didn’t find the right inspiration to finish this image. Almost three months later everything seemed to lock in place and the image was easy to finish. Sometimes it just takes more time and taking a pause is right thing to do. When taking these images I was in a mood of not doing anything serious so I attached a fisheye lens to my camera and put a couple of reflective umbrellas on both sides. Then I just started to goof around with a radio remote. At the post process stage I got an idea to make an image where these images represent a different moods and added a dial to the picture.
I was bored and not mood for photography so I needed a project, something to do with my hands. There was wooden plate at storage room and I thought I will build a ring light. That should keep me busy couple of days… I used Ikea led bulbs. Not ideal but cheap and don’t break easily since the bulb is plastic. Color temperature measured from the grey card was 2650K. Not a difficult project but took some time to do it. Pictures show the building steps.